BKO Hunger FAQs
How do I DONATE to BKO Hunger? How much of my donation goes directly to knock out hunger?
100% of the proceeds of our BKO Hunger campaign provide food to Bucks County food pantries. Making a donation is easy. You can:
- Donate via credit card at www.uwbucks.org/BKOHunger
- Mail a check made out to United Way of Bucks County (Bucks Knocks Out Hunger in the subject line) to UW Bucks, 413 Hood Blvd., Fairless Hills, PA 19030.
- Drop your donation into an official BKO Hunger canister at a participating business.
- If you are a business or organization and would like to become a super-heavyweight for BKO Hunger, contact Tim Philpot at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.uwbucks.org/BKOHunger and go to the donation section.
- If your business or organization is willing to host a BKO Hunger canister, contact Danielle Bush at email@example.com or 215-949-1660, ext. 112.
Where is the event held and where do I park?
BKO Hunger 2018 will be held at Delaware Valley University main campus (700 East Butler Avenue, Doylestown, PA 18901). Meal packing will occur in the Moumgis Auditorium in the Student Center Building. Field work will also occur at the main campus.
Parking at Main Campus:
For the meal packing parking, enter via the main entrance from Old Route 202 (Butler Pike). Use Parking Lot A, to the right behind the welcome center.
For field work, park at the DelVal Farm Market (2100 Lower State Rd) and look for signs for Hope of the Harvest Charitable Garden.
I want to VOLUNTEER, but there are no more spaces! What now?!
My child(ren) would like to help with BKO Hunger. How can they help?
Young people can help pack meals at BKO Hunger, as long as they are accompanied by an adult. We request that one adult bring no more than four children.
I can’t attend this event, but I still want to volunteer to fight hunger. What can I do?
- Help us use social media to promote the event. Tweet on the day of the event or post on social media (Facebook and Twitter).
- Contact Eileen Albillar of Bucks County Opportunity Council at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to help plant and tend community gardens at Delaware Valley University throughout the summer.
- Contact Danielle Bush at UW Bucks at email@example.com to explore additional volunteer opportunities.
- Learn about our new collaborative Fresh Connect program and sign up to volunteer.
I signed up to volunteer, but now I can’t attend. How can I change my sign-up slot?
- Click here to go to the BKO Hunger 2018 sign up page
- Click “I need to change my sign up” on the top right of the sign up grid
- Follow the SignUpGenius prompts to change your sign up
I have trouble standing for long periods of time. Can I still volunteer?
Absolutely. Many of the jobs can be done from a seated position. Just tell us and we’ll place you in a job where you can sit.
Is meal-packing the only job available?
No, while we need more meal packers than any other position, there are several other volunteer roles available. We need volunteers to help move the finished meals to vehicles, to help supervise and coach the production lines, and to help ensure that everyone gets outfitted properly before the event begins.
Do I really have to wear a hairnet?
Yes. Hairnets, beardnets and gloves all help to ensure that the meals are prepared in a sanitary manner. You will also be asked to sanitize your hands before you begin working.
I’d like to volunteer with friends. Can I be placed in a job where I can work with them?
In most cases we can accommodate small groups of people who would like to work together, although we can’t guarantee it. Because we have such a large number of volunteers to place in a short amount of time, it’s hard for us to accommodate everyone. However, arriving early increases the chances that small groups can stay together.
I volunteered to take a BKO canister. What are my duties?
To obtain a canister, contact Danielle Bush at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must report its location, check on it frequently and deposit all monies collected by July 7th at any Penn Community Bank branch in a special account they have set up for BKO Hunger.
I volunteered to work in the fields, but it is calling for rain. Should I still come?
Field work will happen only if it does NOT rain.
What kind of clothing should I wear to work in the fields?
Wear comfortable clothing and sturdy shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Consider dressing in layers to adjust for the weather and temperature. If you are working in the field, you may also want to bring sunscreen and insect spray.