LUNAFEST Is Just A Month Away

bcwi luna featureOn Wednesday, October 15, the Bucks County Women’s Initiative will be hosting LUNAFEST, a film festival dedicated to empowering women, at Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope!

The evening includes a showing of nine short films, all by female filmmakers, that address various women’s issues. The films range from animation to fictional drama and cover topics such as women’s health, motherhood, body image, aging, cultural diversity and breaking barriers.

“We are bringing LUNAFEST here because it features portraits of strong women across a range of age, ethnic and economic groups. The films are thought provoking and offer a wonderful opportunity for conversation. We hope that women of all ages will join us, including teenage girls, for this special night out,” explains Heidi Phillips of UW Bucks.

All proceeds from LUNAFEST are donated to charity. 85% of profits are donated to local nonprofit organizations (in this case, the Bucks County Women’s Initiative). The remaining 15% goes to the Breast Cancer Fund, which is dedicated to identifying and advocating against environmental causes of the disease.

LUNAFEST will help fund BCWI’s 2015 programs, which include:

  • #GirlSTEM, in partnership with Bucks County Intermediate Unit and Delaware Valley College, inspires 350+ Bucks County girls to explore Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math careers through a free, day-long conference and a “networking lunch” with mentors.
  • Empower U, in partnership with the Central Bucks Family YMCA, gives high risk, low income girls access to a 12 week health & wellness program. She will have access to the CBFYMCA, a certified lifestyle coach, special group meetings, classes, field trips, and more.
  • Teens Leaning In, in partnership with A Woman’s Place, challenges the impact of gender-based discrimination for girls during adolescence and gives them the tools to claim their role as leaders and grab a seat at the table.

Tickets to LUNAFEST are $22.25 ($20 ticket and $2.25 Bucks County Playhouse fee for restoration fund) and can be purchased by calling UW Bucks at 215-949-1660, ext 111 or ordered online (note: online orders subject to $1.75 processing fee). Doors open at 6:30, the screening will begin at 7 and last about 90 minutes.

We look forward to seeing you there!


Join us in changing lives in Bucks County for good by making a donation today. Donations can be made online or by mailing a check to, United Way of Bucks County, 413 Hood Blvd., Fairless Hills, PA 19030.