Oklahoma Tornadoes: How to Help


At a news conference this afternoon, Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin described the tornadoes that hit the state on May 20 as the “most horrific storms and disasters that [Oklahoma] has ever faced.”

People around the world are heartsick over what happened.  They are thinking of the children hiding in hallways as the storms raged.  They are thinking of families, grief-stricken, as they try to reunite with loved ones.  They are thinking of people who literally lost everything yesterday.  They are wondering how they can help.

Our colleagues at United Way of Central Oklahoma tell us that the best way to help right now is through monetary donations, and that their Disaster Relief Fund is now open.  Through this fund, individuals may contribute specifically and directly to the May tornadoes relief and recovery efforts.

“We are reactivating the disaster relief fund at the request of many of our donors and corporate partners who are seeking an efficient and accountable way to assist with the relief effort,” said Debby Hampton, President and CEO of United Way of Central Oklahoma.

Fund dollars will be distributed, without administrative fees, to United Way partner agencies working on the tornado relief efforts.  To ensure that your investment in the post-tornado recovery is used effectively, agencies will be required to prove the services they provided and demonstrate a need for financial support.  They will be evaluated and held strictly accountable. The May Tornado Relief Fund will serve both immediate needs, intermediate, and long-term care.

To read more about the work being done by United Way of Central Oklahoma, click here.

GIVING SUPPORT: To donate to United Way of Central Oklahoma’s Disaster Relief Fund, click here.  Donations may be made online at www.unitedwayokc.org or by mail to United Way of Central Oklahoma, P.O. Box 837, Oklahoma City, OK  73101 with notation for May Tornado Relief.


Join us in changing lives in Bucks County for good by making a donation today. Donations can be made online or by mailing a check to, United Way of Bucks County, 413 Hood Blvd., Fairless Hills, PA 19030.