Bucks Knocks Out Hunger
Bucks Knocks Out Hunger is a community-driven hunger fighting project that unites thousands of donors, advocates, and volunteers to fight hunger in Bucks County. It is a fundraiser for Bucks County’s food pantries, a chance to advocate for those who are hungry and food insecure, and an opportunity to pack meals as a volunteer. Bucks Knocks Out Hunger will pack 125,000 nutritious, shelf-stable meals with the help of over 600 volunteers on June 21st at Bucks County Community College.
Money raised will also provide over 32,000 lbs of locally grown produce and fresh dairy products like milk, butter, and cheese – items which are not often donated to pantries.
Our goal for 2018 was to raise at least $80,000 to help people in Bucks County. We exceeded that goal so this year we’ve raised the bar, making our goal to raise $85,000 for food pantries in Bucks County.
9% of residents and 16% of all children in Bucks County are food insecure, meaning they can’t be sure where their next meal is coming from. We believe that in a community like ours, no child should go to bed hungry. No family should have to choose between food on the table and a roof over their heads. No older adult should have to skip meals so that they can afford medication. BKO Hunger changes everything for people in need.
All proceeds from BKO Hunger benefit people who are hungry or food insecure in Bucks County. Donations to the project will continue to fight hunger throughout the upcoming year.
- $28,000 allows Bucks County volunteers to pack and distribute 125,000 meals to local pantries and senior centers. Our meal supplies are purchased through our partners at Outreach, Inc.for just 25 cents per meal. You can learn more about how to help pack meals here. (check back soon for our volunteer sign up!)
- $25,000 allows us to provide fresh produce to pantries and senior centers at an incredibly low cost. We work with Delaware Valley University’s Hope of the Harvest Charitable Garden and greenhouses to provide more than 54,000 lbs of produce. We also work with Rolling Harvest Food Rescue to secure produce from small, sustainable farms in Bucks County.
- $20,000 secures dairy products like milk, cheese, and butter, items that do not typically come in through food drives. This money helps pantries fill the gaps when they are critically low. Funds are distributed through the network of pantries by Bucks County Opportunity Council.
- $7,000 will be allocated to support the new Fresh Connect mobile farmers market.
- BKO Hunger will include a breakfast food drive this year! BKO volunteers are encouraged to bring and donate non-perishable breakfast items (oatmeal, breakfast bars, cereals, etc.) to BKO hunger on June 21st. These donations will help ensure that kids who aren’t receiving free and reduced breakfast at school have something healthy to eat for breakfast over the summer.
- BKO Hunger is teaming up with Visit Bucks County this year. During Restaurant Week Bucks County, select restaurants will be donating a portion of their proceeds to support BKO Hunger. Find out more about Restaurant Week Bucks County and participating restaurants HERE!
To make a donation online complete the form below and click ‘donate’; you will be taken to PayPal to complete the transaction. You do NOT need a PayPal account. Look for the text that says, "Don't have a PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account (where available)," and click continue.